Software Development Manager - Quantum Software
Xanadu’s mission is to build quantum computers that are useful and available to people everywhere.
At Xanadu, we are learners, innovators, researchers, collaborators and problem solvers. We are creating something that has never been built before. What we are doing is extremely hard, the classic moon shot. Few people in their life will be able to be a part of something like this, where if we are successful, the technologies we develop will solve some of the world’s most challenging problems, and literally change the world. And that is something to be excited about!
Your Role and Responsibilities
Xanadu is looking for an experienced Software Development Manager to lead the Core Quantum Software team. The team is developing PennyLane, an open-source framework for quantum machine learning, quantum computing, and quantum chemistry. Although quantum software development experience is not required for the role, an advanced degree in physics is strongly preferred.
- Manage a team of 7-10 developers to build new features and improve performance of the PennyLane framework
- Work with Product Managers to define direction and roadmap for the team
- Participate in sprints with cross-functional teams, ensuring features are delivered efficiently and on time
- Work closely with our community growth team to ensure good feedback loops between external stakeholders and internal teams, and to improve framework adoption
- Participate in the full software development lifecycle, collaborating with product managers, designers and technical writers
- Develop and improve processes to ensure developer efficiency and consistent product delivery
- Perform team building activities such as hiring, mentorship, career development and performance management
Basic qualifications and experience
- Advanced degree in Physics or similar
- 7+ years of software development experience.
- 2+ years of management experience.
- Ability to understand and apply complex mathematical concepts.
- Exposure/familiarity to machine learning/deep learning.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong communication skills.
Preferred qualifications and experience
- Expertise in quantum computing, as demonstrated by in-field experience, extensive coursework, thesis, or peer-reviewed publications.
- Experience with numerical computation and high-performance computing using Python and/or C++.
- Experience developing open source software.
Our values are important. They are fundamental and lay the foundation for culture at Xanadu.
At Xanadu, we are committed to building an inclusive, safe, and equitable culture and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. We are committed to meeting the needs of all individuals and support a barrier-free workplace. Should you require accommodations at any point during the recruitment process please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.