Software Development Manager - Performance(HPC/GPU)
Xanadu’s mission is to build quantum computers that are useful and available to people everywhere.
At Xanadu, we are learners, innovators, researchers, collaborators and problem solvers. We are creating something that has never been built before. What we are doing is extremely hard, the classic moon shot. Few people in their life will be able to be a part of something like this, where if we are successful, the technologies we develop will solve some of the world’s most challenging problems, and literally change the world. And that is something to be excited about!
Your Role and Responsibilities
Xanadu is looking for an experienced Software Development Manager to lead the Performance Quantum Software team. The team is developing several CPU and GPU-based PennyLane simulator backends to simulate Quantum Hardware. Although quantum software development experience is not required for the role, an advanced degree in physics is strongly preferred.
- Manage a team of 5-7 developers to build new features for the PennyLane simulators and generally improve the performance of the PennyLane library.
- Work with Product Managers to define direction and roadmap for the team.
- Participate in sprints with cross-functional teams, ensuring features are delivered efficiently and on time.
- Work closely with our community growth team to ensure good feedback loops between external stakeholders and internal teams and to improve library adoption.
- Develop and improve processes to ensure developer efficiency and consistent product delivery.
- Perform team-building activities such as hiring, mentorship, career development and performance management.
- Perform R&D to support new hardware platforms, programming paradigms, and software tooling to enable optimal performance for PennyLane workloads.
Basic qualifications and experience
- Advanced degree in Physics or similar.
- 7+ years of software development experience.
- 2+ years of management experience.
- Strong programming experience in modern high-performance compiled languages and interpreted languages, including Python & modern C++ [11/14/17/20].
- Exposure/familiarity to machine learning/deep learning.
- Ability to understand and apply complex mathematical concepts.
- Experience building scalable & reproducible scientific work-loads.
- Strong communication skills.
Preferred qualifications and experience
- Expertise in quantum computing, as demonstrated by in-field experience, extensive coursework, thesis, or peer-reviewed publications.
- Extensive experience with GPU programming through CUDA, HIP/ROCm, OpenCL, SYCL/oneAPI or compiler offload directives.
- Experience with scientific computing on Top500 supercomputing systems, or on commodity / cloud hardware (e.g., AWS, Azure, GCP).
- Experience working with cross-platform build-systems (e.g CMake on Windows, MacOS, Linux).
- Familiarity with multi-processing & distributed computation (e.g. MPI, SHMEM,Dask.Distributed, Ray).
- Experience with benchmarking and performance analysis of scientific workflows (e.g Intel Advisor/Vtune, perf, Arm Forge, Nvidia Nsight).
Our values are important. They are fundamental and lay the foundation for the culture at Xanadu.
At Xanadu, we are committed to building an inclusive, safe, and equitable culture and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. We are committed to meeting the needs of all individuals and support a barrier-free workplace. Should you require accommodations at any point during the recruitment process please contact Human Resources at [email protected].