Photonics Lab Technician
Xanadu’s mission is to build quantum computers that are useful and available to people everywhere.
At Xanadu, we are learners, innovators, researchers, collaborators and problem solvers. We are creating something that has never been built before. Few people in their life will be able to be a part of something like this, where if we are successful, the technologies we develop will solve some of the world’s most challenging problems, and literally change the world. And that is something to be excited about!
Your role and responsibilities:
Based within the Hardware team, you will interface with photonic chip designers and engineers to assist with lab work associated with optical measurements, characterization and packaging of photonic devices. This will include a mix of sample preparation, hardware assembly, optical setup preparation, metrology, software development, measurements acquisition, data analysis and reporting. The selected candidate will have hands-on experience preparing samples for optical measurements and packaging, performing measurements of photonics devices in a lab environment and performing effective analysis and reporting to various stakeholders. Attention to detail and drive will be critical attributes while working in a highly challenging and dynamic environment pursuing measurements beyond the state of the art.
The position is expected to be filled immediately.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- BSc (or equiv.) in Engineering, Science, or related relevant field
- 2+ years experience working in a laboratory environment with optical test and/or fiber optic equipment.
- Experience in the polishing, dicing, FIB slicing and other methods of sample preparation for metrology and optical experiments
- Experience with highly sensitive and high-precision optical measurements.
- Basic knowledge of optical fibers and/or waveguide based components
- Basic knowledge in the different material handling
- Basic knowledge in the sample preparations for optical experiments
- Basic knowledge in microscopy techniques
- Detail-oriented with positive attitude towards work
- Highly motivated and eager to learn
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Working proficiency of Python programming
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- Experience with splicing optical fibers for low-loss transmission.
- Ability to perform basic instrumentation of laboratory equipment.
- Knowledge of version control software and common software development practices in a team environment.
- Experience of working in clean room environments.
- Experience in failure analysis techniques
- Understanding of requirements for photonic packaging and experience with simple chip-to-fiber attach is a plus.
Our values are important. They are fundamental and lay the foundation for the culture at Xanadu.
At Xanadu, we are committed to building an inclusive, safe, and equitable culture and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. We are committed to meeting the needs of all individuals and support a barrier-free workplace. Should you require accommodations at any point during the recruitment process please contact Human Resources at [email protected].